Tell your friends:
- This event has passed.
Link Up: The Orchestra Swings
February 6, 2018 at 9:30 and 11:00 a.m.
February 7, 2018 at 9:30 and 11:00 a.m.
Pikes Peak Center for the Performing Arts
This multi-media concert explores elements of swing within orchestral and jazz music. Through the Link Up repertoire, students explore melody, rhythm, and style through listening, composition, and performance, and play and sing alongside the Colorado Springs Philharmonic in a culminating, interactive concert experience.
Grades 3-5 may participate in a year-long preparatory curriculum for FREE — contact Outreach & Education Coordinator Bernie Brink via email for details.
- Tickets are $4.50 per person when payment is received by December 8, 2017. $5.00 per person thereafter.
- Schools receiving Title I need-based funding receive admission at no cost. Please indicate eligibility on registration (see below).
Classroom Educational Support
Link Up curriculum is offered FREE to all participating schools and students, including lesson plans, student workbooks, audio, and assessment tools. Teachers are also invited to our Link Up Professional Development session, held in the fall.
Additionally, the Philharmonic docent program offers free assistance to your classroom. One of our experienced, knowledgeable docents will visit your school and make a presentation that will prepare your students for their experience with the orchestra. Available for all Philharmonic Kids concerts; contact Bernie Brink via email to arrange for a docent.
Contact Outreach & Education Coordinator Bernie Brink at 719-344-2456, or send an email.
Link Up with the Colorado Springs Philharmonic is a FREE program for students in grades 3-5 that provides textbooks, digital resources, professional development, and in-classroom support to teachers. Students explore orchestral repertoire to learn basic musical concepts through listening, composition, and performance with the help of extensive standards-based classroom activities and materials produced by Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute. Linking your classroom to the concert hall, this engaging program culminates in a spring concert at the Pikes Peak Center where students sing or play along with the orchestra from their seats.
Participation is completely free for schools receiving Title I assistance.
Non-Title I schools receive all curricular materials for free when they purchase tickets for the concert.
How to Get Involved
- Complete your free registration here on our website.
- Receive your FREE Link Up Teacher’s Guide and student workbooks by contacting Outreach & Education Coordinator Bernie Brink (719-344-2456 or email@example.com).
- Obtain instruments for the program. Link Up includes tracks for voice, recorder, or violin, but band and orchestra instruments are also welcome. Recorders are available from the Philharmonic for $5.00 each.
- Attend a Link Up professional development seminar in the fall. This workshop will focus on tailoring the curriculum to your students’ goals, and you’ll have the chance to hear from seasoned participants in the Philharmonic’s Link Up program.
- Learn the Link Up repertoire. The Link Up curriculum is designed to be supplemental and flexible. You choose what activities will best suit your students and existing lesson plans, and you may be as ambitious as you please in learning the repertoire. Many schools begin tackling the Link Up curriculum at least 3 months prior to the concert, so they are prepared to play well and have the most interactive, fun experience possible at the concert!
- Attend the culminating Link Up concert in February at the Pikes Peak Center with up to 1,800 other students and teachers from throughout the region. The concert is fun and interactive, and your students will be invited to sing, play and dance along with our professional orchestra!
Link Up is designed to grow with your student. You can participate again the following year with a whole new repertoire with new concepts and challenges!